I apologise if today's Blog takes a much more serious tone. But today iv found something which has got me going!
Today started off great. Woke up next to my Girlfriend and a BRILLIANT night's sleep. My snoring isn't actually keeping her awake any more! Vampires Rock was awesome too. Steve Steinman signed my Programme, as did Toyah Wilcox and John Evans!
So, We went to see the Nana-in-law-to-possibly-be, and then went into town...
Where I was handed a leaflet...a Religious Leaflet...
Here it is, straight from the original creator's website, here.


To Sum it all up, the writer claims that the Theory of Evolution is a lie, and that there are solid, scientific challenges to the theory, along with supposed evidence that a Mighty Creator exists. It also says that every single one of us is a Sinner. I admit, i'm not an Angel, but i'm no thief or Murderer!
So, I'm making it my duty to defend Mr Darwin and the Monkeez from a torrent of Zeal.
Is the so called "Mighty Creator" Stupid?
I say this with good reason; surely a being with unlimited intelligence and omnipotent power, (which a deity would need in order to create a world), would want his creations to be as perfect as possible.
Also, i'm pretty sure that this Creator would want to make his world self-sufficient, so that he wouldn't need to keep coming back to improve and tweak things.
What would thus be a way to make a world truly self sufficient and self improving? Evolution would make sense in this context.
I would like to take a look at the bible; a book which many follow without question despite the many obvious contradictions.
The Book of Genesis has certain links to scientific theory. Here is a short History of the earth, as told by the Book of Genesis...
- "God" created Earth and the "Heavens", and the earth was a barren dark place. Then he said "LET THERE BE LIGHT!" in a booming, yet calm voice.
- "God" created the Air. (the thing between the lower firmanant/seas and the higher firmanant/heaven and sky.)
- "God" shaped the continants and seas in a certain way and put plants and trees on the earth.
- "God" put the moon in position, then left the concoction to settle as he started the rest of the universe.
- "God" came back and made the air-breathing sea creatures and birds.
- "God" made the beasts of the earth according to their kinds. He also made Man.
- "God" rested and allowed earth to continue on its own way.
- First, Earth clumped together in some way, and was a barren, dark place. At a similar time, the sun ignited.
- Then the chemical reactions caused by the sun's heat started a chain reaction leading to the formation of the Atmosphere.
- This in turn created water molecules, and thus the seas, creating continents. Then simple organisms (Algae) began to form.
- (It is still debated how and when the moon appeared, but it is thought to have happened around this time.)
- Algae then evolved into more complex plants through it's symbiotic relationship with Chloroplasts. Simple bacteria evolved into more complex organisms, and eventually sea creatures, which moved onto land (Reptiles) due to ocean overcrowding. These creatures became more specialised (Dinosaurs, flying reptiles, early birds etc.).
- Mammals/Beasts also evolved, and eventually, after a global extinction of the Dinosaurs they evolved further and became the ruling form of animal. Species eventually became seperated due to their evolutionary routes. One of these routes, the Primates, evolved to stand Upright and use simple tools. They eventually became the species "Homo Sapien Sapiens", who now rule over the planet due to their social skills and ability to make the best of any situation.
- Since humans became dominant, Earth's evolutionary history has mostly been determined by thier actions, especially in recent centuries. (Extinction of the Dodos, Golden Toad, Smallpox, Falkland Island Wolf, Quagga, Tarpan to name just a few.) Now the entire planet is threatened by supposed global warming, caused by the technology of man. (And gassy cows, bred by man as a source of food.)
The Bible, being an interpretation of an interpretation of events originally conveyed verbally, that has been translated from language to language, possibly not always entirely correctly due to the syntax of varying languages, must have many differences from the original concepts. What if one of these many flawed understandings was the word "Day."
Thus, the Bible would be an almost truthful, albeit simplified version of what science believes to be the origins of the Planet and life.
Who is to say that the differences in language structure arn't behind the differences in religious practice?
Catholic, Protestant, CoE, Jewish, Islamic. All believe in one God. One Creator. The little things could just be discrepencies in the translation for all we know! They all originated from one interpretation or the other of the Bible. So why do they keep arguing?!
At the end of the day, there is no real quarrel between science and religion. They should not be confused. Science is there to give a logical explaination of events and predict an outcome based on previous tests. Religion is there to explain why, while looking after the human need to not be alone. Religion, and the concept of God, provides comfort to those who are lonely or down, however i'm not saying that all people who believe are so. Belief gives people a reason to exist;
And y'know what? As long as it makes people happy, I have no problem with it!
What I do have a problem with, is when people tell me what to believe.
No-one has that right!
Maybe If I don't become a born-again Christian,
I WON'T be Saved by the grace of the Heavenly Lamb,
but it's MY choice at the end of the day!
That's why in Tomorrow's blog, (assuming I get the Evidence i'v been promised), I will be delving into the other side of the argument. The Writer of the above leaflet is claiming to be able to show me solid, scientific evidence proving evolution wrong and God to be real. Although I am not Optimistic, I am willing to consider any solid evidence he can provide me.Maybe If I don't become a born-again Christian,
I WON'T be Saved by the grace of the Heavenly Lamb,
but it's MY choice at the end of the day!
Lets hope this evidence is good; I'm running out of blog ideas!
Anyway, thanks for reading this essay-of-a-blog. Love to you all,
Bee x

Interesting post. I would like to add a few points in response. You set up quite a few straw men in your post and then try to burn them, here are a few. For one Christians do not believe the bible without question. They believe the bible based on evidence they find in science, archaeology and the bible itself. For instance, The Bible proves itself to be the word of the creator by proved prophecies. Also Christians see the claims of the gospel to save from sin, for self, unto God, they then see this happen in their lives and believe or have faith in that book and the God behind it. so we see your point is not correct.
ReplyDeleteScience is just knowledge. Many many scientists are not evolutionists, by definition the theory of evolution is a theory. Many believe in creationism or intelligent design. both look at the same evidence and see different things. The Bible actually was written by approx 40 different authors over thousands of years, its message is actually very clear, it does not have the contradictions you mentioned, its themes are clear.
The Hebrew word for day is Yom. Yom can be used in different ways just like day can, the context determines the meaning. In Hebrew Yom can mean a literal day, or a period of time, etc, but, it always means a literal 24/7 period of time when it is with morning and evening, and a number, this is the case in the creation week. so the language indicates very clearly it is literlly days. No Hebrew scholar ever thought differently.
Science is merely thinking God;s thoughts after him, as you rightly say it cannot deal with why, it also cannot explain how you get an infinite universe, thats if it is infinite, from nothing by nothing, you see it cannot answer even that, the answer is you cannot. there has to be something to bring the Universe into being. This is a website for serious science, check it out. Christianity is a historical, scientific, rational faith, in a real plausible creator. www.answersingenesis.org
Thanks for your response. I'm only giving the world my opinions throuhg this blog, not trying to cause offence and/or harm to anyone who believes in an infinate god. I am not a christian, I probably never will be, and thus I shall never truly understand. Im just ranting xD It is interesting to me the reaction I am getting. I half expected to get negative, abusive responses, but it seems that I underestimated the power of faith. What is it like to truly believe in something, with absolutely no doubt?
ReplyDeleteI have alot of respect for you, your cause and your faith, and although I can never believe, I would love to, if only to feel devotion to a cause so strongly.
As I said in my last post however, my money's on FSM xD
A joke, of course. I think that maybe I should stay away from religion in future.